It seems that everyone is eating salad this month. But salad doesn’t have to be the same, sad ol’ thing. This winter salad recipe makes a delicious #notsaddesklunch and is hearty enough for dinner. Packed with penne pasta, pesto, butternut squash, arugula, and tart cranberries, it’s not just colorful; it’s filling and nutritious.
Ingredients (for 8 people)
- 1 box Barilla® Penne pasta
- 1 jar Barilla® Traditional Basil Pesto
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (we love Prince & Spring Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 3 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 4 cups baby arugula
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup Asiago cheese, shaved
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté squash in olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until slightly browned.
- Add broth and cook the squash until soft.
- In a large bowl, add pesto and ½ cup of the pasta cooking water, then stir to combine.
- Drain pasta and combine with the sauce. Fold in the arugula and squash and garnish with cranberries and cheese.
What’s your favorite winter salad recipe? Inspire us in the comments below!