Companies can have great employees, great locations, and great clients, but if they don’t have an amazing office manager, there’s always going to be something missing (literally and figuratively). Office managers bring the special sauce that creates the fun and keeps the troops supplied, and they do it all on a budget. We sat down with two office managers and got them to share their Do’s and Don’ts for helping their co-workers succeed.
Office Experience and Facilities Manager Brian Kustera at Button and ibotta Office Coordinator Nora Rioux use a well-honed mix of psychology and sweets to shape the culture at their workplaces. With their help, we’ve compiled a list that features some unexpected Do’s and a keen understanding of the Don’ts when it comes to running an office. See if you can relate.
1. One ambiguously pronounced word: LaCroix.
2. Sneak in puppies whenever you can.
3. Surprise cookies go a long way.
4. Provide a never-ending fountain of coffee and tea — caffeine saves lives.
5. See No. 4.
6. Embrace emojis and exclamation marks!!! Someone must be the overtly happy and obnoxious one 🎉💃❤🦄🍉🎂🍻
8. Leave no occasion uncelebrated — the more showers and anniversaries, the better.
10. Appreciate that you work with the best team EVER.
11. Cultivate a wide variety of swag vendors — it’s surprising how often you need to personalize fidget spinners or socks.
1. Run out of coffee. Side effects include sadness, fatigue, grumpiness, and basic anarchy.
2. Forget to order toilet paper. No explanation needed.
3. Worry about the temperature, because you will never make everybody happy.
4. Go overboard on the healthy food. People are always going to need pizza and chocolate.
5. Put the lunch order in late. Hangry mutiny is a real threat.
6. Forget to keep a stash of candy at your desk for bribery purposes.
7. Impose too many of your own preferences on the orders you place. Use Group Ordering* instead.
8. STOP BELIEVING!!!
Extra Credit: Things Office Managers Wish Their Colleagues Knew
· There is no maid in the office.
· An office manager is not the same as a personal assistant.
· Don’t confuse your office manager with the mail carrier.
· We know exactly who leaves their cups in the sink.
· Taking care of our colleagues is what we live for.
As unique as every office is, some truths are self-evident. It’s no surprise that coffee and chocolate are universal requirements. Stocking up at Boxed is a stress-free way to stay in “Do” territory. Our dedicated account managers will help you meet the needs of your office while staying on budget and will never let you run out of critical supplies. Sign up for your free account today and avoid the cacophony that occurs when the stash gets low.
Ready to talk?
Schedule time with our Snack Expert, Brett.
This feature helps you make office manager magic. Co-workers can collaborate on building a shared shopping cart and then you can take over and complete the order. It’s a great way to ensure that everyone has input AND take some of the guesswork off your plate.